In an ever-changing and troubled world, we strive to introduce Jesus through song. With a unique blend of traditional and contemporary A Capella gospel, we are blessed to be vessels to share Jesus in a unique yet powerful way. We desire to strengthen those we know and love, and we desire to create dialogue with those we meet. Last but not least, we desire to encourage and support one another as an anointed group blended together to deliver a life changing message.
Unity is comprised of a group of people who love to sing for the Lord. Founded by Bro. Richard Prince Sr., this group of people has been singing together for far longer than their 20 documented years. They sang together as a family since their early teenage years under the direction of Lena and Roy Street and later Sis. Earnestine Clemons.
While some of the faces in Unity have changed, the goal continues to be to praise God and spread the good news through song edifying souls. Former active singing members who have moved away include:
- Richard Prince, Sr.
- Chanel Johnson
- Penny Booker
- Brian Brown
- Jerrell Hardy
- Robert Clemons II
- Derrick Macon
- Alex Sealy I
- Gary Simon
- Karen Christian
- Clayton Harmon
- Dale Prince and
- William McRoy
• Unity produced 4 CDs: Chapter I (retired), Chapter II Heed the Master’s Call, Chapter III: Change and Something for the People and Let it Rise. Unity has been blessed to perform at many occasions, including civic and social events. These events have taken Unity throughout the states of Florida, Georgia, the Carolina, Kentucky Alabama and Wisconsin.
• In 2000 they were awarded the Best New Artist by the NACAMAS (National Academy of Christian A Capella Music Awards) and were also nominated in 2002 for Best Ensemble.
• Unity has also been present in the community at local NAACP events, civic events, The Beacon House (feeding of displaced persons), the Resurrection House, and the Florida International Museum.
• Unity also had a couple of opportunities to perform at the sunrise Easter service at the historic St. Petersburg Pier; and In 2004, Unity hosted a charity event which proceeds were distributed to Church of Christ organization to benefit the victims of various natural disasters.
• In 2008 Unity performed an original play (written by its members) at the Palladium Side Door in downtown St. Petersburg which was a huge success. By popular demand the play was put on the big stage at the same location.
• Also in 2008, Unity began a home bound ministry. There are many members who cannot be a part of worship on Sunday due to illness and this need was recognized.